19 January 2018

Presenting at the Secret Lives Conference

I've been waiting for the official announcement to blog that I'm presenting at the Secret Lives conference in Leicestershire at the end of August.
With four leading genealogical organisations coming together to host this will be THE major family history conference in the UK this year. They are the Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives (AGRA), The Guild of One Name Studies, the Halsted Trust and the Society of Genealogists.
From Friday 31st August to Sunday 2nd September 2018 conference lectures will be "aimed at family historians interested in tracing ancestors who may be less represented in mainstream records, whose voices are difficult to hear or who might be overlooked or indeed elusive."
See the list of speakers announced so far at http://secretlives.org.uk/performers/.
If you're interested in attending there's an early bird discount. I know of at least one other Ottawa area family historian planning to attend.

3 comments:

Paul Milner said...

Congratulations John on getting accepted as a speaker for the conference. I gave a couple of talks at their migration conference a couple of years ago. The British conferences are organized very differently from the North American ones. It is a conference well worth attending. Its a great place to network. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

One of the reasons I am so happy I will also be attending is that chum Kim Baldacchino will also be speaking. I met her at the last conference in 2013. She and her husband have retired and moved to Malta and were terrific taking the squeeze and I around one day while we were there.

Also Sarah Wise will be speaking. She wrote a fabulous book called The Blackest Streets which explained to me why in 2010 no matter how hard I tried, I could not locate the addresses of where my 1835 east end ancestors lived. They were living in the blackest streets of the Charles Booth East London Poverty Map. In the late 1800s the LCC redeveloped the whole area and even changed the street layout. Cheers, BT

Sophronia said...

Hi John,

Oh how I'd love to attend that conference in Leicestershire. In 2008 I spent a whole day with Janet Few touring the village of Buckland Brewer, Devon where she lives. And as a my specialty is UK genealogy, I'm familiar with the names of other presenters. And lastly, I'd love to hear what you have to say about all those lowly ag labs who are so difficult to trace. Any chance you'll ever get down my way -- Windsor, ON/